If you are unfamiliar with a Ning, go to the JCL Ning and look around. Here are some of the things you can do:
- Start a book club group. Any book. Any group. Want to discuss the third book in the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins coming out next week? Start a discussion. Want your students to form groups to discuss their books all year? Start a group.
- Start a forum. Have questions for other teachers about books they are reading in their classroom? Need ideas for books on specific topics or genres? Have ideas you'd like to share with others? Start a forum. Wendy has started a forum on literature that supports writing workshop. Share your ideas with her.
- Join the JCL Ning Diigo group. Diigo is a great bookmarking site that allows you to highlight and annotate online articles. Add your favorite online articles to the JCL Ning Diigo group as a way to share with and learn from the community.
- Share videos and pictures. Have a video or pictures of your classroom library or reading centers that you would like to share? How about video of students discussing literature or of your favorite authors or book trailers? Sharing these resources with others.
- Start your own blog or have your students start their own blog. Write reflections on books, topics, themes, etc.
- Chat with others. The online chat allows instant communication between members of the JCL Ning.
- Add to the calendar of events. Know of upcoming events that others might be interested in? Share them on the JCL Ning calendar.