Skip to main content

Is That A Poem In Your Pocket, Or Is It Something Even Verse?

From NPR

I just want you to know first that I wrote that headline just so that you would come here to tell me how terrible, how agonizing, how truly depressingly abhorrent it is, and then when you got here, I could remind you that it's Poem In Your Pocket Day!

No, it really is.

It's Poem In Your Pocket Day, from the Academy Of American Poets, co-sponsored by the National Council Of Teachers Of English and some other folks. I have decided to stretch the premise to its absolute limit by declaring that since this is my pocket (of the world), I will mention a couple of poems here, and then ask you to mention one that you like, and then we'll all have poems in our pockets, and that will make poets happy, and ... wait, I'm not sure poets are supposed to be happy. But anyway.
I once read a gigantic e.e. cummings biography for work (!!), so it's not only the ubiquity that makes me say I have a fondness for some of his stuff — I like "my father moved through dooms of love," which has more gorgeousness in just that line than many people will produce in their lifetimes.

And yes, like many others, I will make the thoroughly predictable pick of "The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock," which you should read aloud immediately if you never have (the people in your office will love it). The fact that it's so well-known that it was once referenced without comment on Law & Order (when a schlub who had fallen for the wrong woman sighed, "Just once, I dared to eat the peach") doesn't mean it isn't awfully good. "In a minute there is time / For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." Dang, you can use that every day.

But if I had to put only one poem in my pocket, I would pick "Cotton Candy On A Rainy Day" by Nikki Giovanni. It's the title poem from a collection of her work that was recommended to me by a teacher when I was in tenth grade, and it includes the line, "I share with the painters the desire / To put a three-dimensional picture / On a one-dimensional surface." For some reason, that line perfectly encapsulated every frustration I had about being a high-school student who, like most high-school students, felt that nobody understood anything I was trying to say, ever.

So: What poem would you put in your pocket?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would have to go for "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock" too. My 12th grade English teacher read it to us and I have never forgotten it. My favorite part was always "I do not think that they will sing to me." I don't care if its cliche, I love it!

Popular posts from this blog

10 for 10 Picturebook Event

Picturebooks. Who can resist them? Old and young alike, there's a picturebook for everyone. But, keeping up with the best of them can be daunting. That's why you might be interested in Cathy Mere and Mandy Robek's 10 for 10 Picturebook Event . In event hosts bloggers who have chosen 10 picture books s/he could not live without and wrote a post about the titles.  Each blogger puts her/his own spin on a collection. Last year (the first year for the event) there were over 400 "must have" picture books. There are so many ways to create this list. I could list 10 of my all time favorites or 10 new releases which I plan to use in my class this year. But, I've decided to focus on 10 new nonfiction books. Why? Because nonfiction is vastly overlooked in the classroom and because these new nonfiction picturebooks are amazing! The nonfiction titles I chose to include range in age/grade level appropriateness and also include both biography and informational tex...

"Testing the Ice" book giveaway

I would like to invite you to enter a book giveaway in celebration of the release of Testing the Ice by Sharon Robinson. Sharon, the daughter of baseball legend Jackie Robinson, has crafted a heartwarming, true story about growing up with her father. In the early 1950s, legendary baseball hero Jackie Robinson literally "tested the ice" for his kids who so eagerly wanted to skate on the frozen lake near their home. Under Sharon Robinson's skillful authorship and Kadir Nelson's vivid illustrations, Testing the Ice also becomes a stunning metaphor for her father's remarkable racial breakthrough. The book opens with Jackie Robinson's famous slide into home plate that won the seventh game in the world series, beating the New York Yankees and making the the Brooklyn Dodgers the world champions! Then the story transitions to the new home the Robinson's bought on a lake in Stamford, Connecticut. Told from Sharon Robinson's perspective, she and her two broth...